Monthly Archives: June 2013

Progress from the last week

Well a little bit of a quiet week on the work front, here is a bit of an update:

Car 1 – Chassis is having its second coat of paint now, will be turning it over tomorrow and doing the bottom.

Thanks to the sale of the 2.5 Diesel that came with the chassis we have been able to buy the bush kit so that will be the aim for the next week.

Car 2 – We have removed the bulkhead to assess the wiring and also some rust repairs that will be required.

Rear tub cross members arrived from Paddocks, they have had their paint removed and are set to go to galvanising soon.

2 x 10 x 5 Sheets of 1.5mm ali have been ordered to remake the rear body work so we will be starting to cut them out in the next week and be ready to make up the tub and side sections hopefully before the chassis arrives.

Also ordered is a load wiring from Vehicle Wiring Products so there is a big job looming.

Car 3 – A sheet has been trimmed down that will cover part of the cab which is one of the first jobs to do, then decisions on the way to go.


Car 1 : Chassis Painting

Well today we have had the axles off the chassis and started to give it the first coat of chassis black paint.

So unbolted the springs and moved chassis in to the garage and out with the brushes and rollers.

The first coat looks good, still the underside to paint and then a second coat and will be done ready for the engine and boxes to go back in.

IMG_0160_2 IMG_0161_2 IMG_0162_2


UPDATE : Monday 24th

Chassis turned and bottom painted.

IMG_3377 IMG_8821

Car 2 : Step 2 Body Removal

To carry on with getting ready for the new chassis and the replacement body work we are going to make we wanted the tub and rear sections removing so they could be measured up better and also see other bits that weren’t so clear while on the car.

So step 1 was remove the rear door, 6 bolts and it was off


Next on to the roof


We then finished removing the seat backs from the rear of the tub so did didn’t have them to worry about when removing the tub.  Then we removed the rear window sections too.



After that the biggest job was removing the tub, all the tub to seat box bolts came out ok,  the seat belts unbolted easy too.  The rear tub bolts didn’t want to budge so a grinder and cutting disk made light work to them, then tub just lifted off.

Last job of the day was to remove the doors, as these need work and to sore the car makes it easier.



^ This is the bottom of the near side door


Car 2 : Step 1 Parts Removal

Well a good way to spend fathers day was working with dad on stripping down the car to get ready for the rebuild.  Step 1 was empty out all the stuff we had stored in there and found a new home for it all.  Then we were going to remove anything that is not essential to the engine running.

IMG_0003 (Medium)

So it was time to remove all of the following :

  • Interior Light
  • Headlining inc rear view mirror & sun visors
  • CB Arial wire
  • Light Bar & Wiring
  • Snorkel
  • Cubby Box
  • CB Radio
  • Missile switches from the dash
  • Rear Seats
  • Seat belt mounts for the front
  • Rear head padding
  • All rear lights & tow bar wiring

IMG_0007 (Medium) IMG_0006 (Medium) IMG_0005 (Medium) IMG_0004 (Medium) IMG_0002 (Medium)

The plan at the moment is some time this week remove the roof, rear window section and rear tub.  We will then cover the cab section with a tarp till the chassis arrives and we move the car to the location of the rebuild.

While working round the car we gave all the tub mounts a good spray with penetrating fluid so hopefully they will all come off a bit easier when we try to do it.

Car 2 : Planning

Well I am at a stage now where I am starting to plan and get ready to buy parts from my rebuild.  We have contacted Richards Chassis to start the ball rolling on one of their 90 chassis with bolt in gearbox cross member.

Next is planning around the other parts we want to fit new with the rebuild, the list so far consist of:

  • Wiring for making up new harness for lights.
  • Bush Kit
  • Shocks, Springs, Spring Retainers, Spring Seats
  • Bump Stops
  • Brake hoses, master cylinder, servo, pipe, pads
  • New side / indicator (front, rear & side) / reverse / fog lights.
  • UJ’s for the props
  • Front shock turrets
  • Replacement bolts where needed
  • NEW – Front Seat belts
  • NEW – Front Seat covers

UPDATE: Delivery Window

Had a call last night saying that the order will now be progressing and delivery to be expected within 6 – 8 weeks.  So that is a delivery between 22nd June & 9th July

Unplanned Progress

Considering that last week one of the lads doing the build was injured, requiring 12 stitches in his arm I thought progress would have slowed a bit till he was better, but with the nice weather the other 2 of us decided to progress a bit.


This is after the stitches, the before is a bit too nasty for the blog. Stitches out 08/06/13 hopefully.

Plan started with “Lets bolt the springs back on to the axles, see how the colours look together. But some how it ended up as being lets have the car back to a rolling chassis. With a bit of a hand from the owners brother we moved the chassis from its stored location out to the car port and on top of the axles.

The chassis still needs its final coat of paint which we hope will come in the next couple of weeks. Then we will be getting the engine, gearbox and transfer box back on to the chassis.


This is a bit of off roading from the lad with the injury, the car here is currently in bits and the car that recovered is the one that he is now driving.