Monthly Archives: July 2013

Car 2 : Tub progress – Updated

Well a good day working on the tub section of the car, we have bent the bulkhead in to shape, welded the braces to the bulkhead, created the section that goes down from the bulkhead and includes rear floor supports and seat belt mounts.. We also made up the small flat section that bolts to the front seat box.

They are all bent and drilled, tomorrow we will pin on the rear wings and rear 1/4 panels that will help us take measurements for the seat boxes which we also hope to make up tomorrow.

20130720-225642.jpg

20130720-225949.jpg

20130720-230031.jpg

20130720-225925.jpg

 

Update :

Well, what a busy day we had on Sunday, after prepping the sections we popped it together and laid it up on the old tub, so here is what that looks like.

Weekend (1) Weekend (2) Weekend (3) Weekend (4) Weekend (5) Weekend (6) Weekend (7) Weekend (8) Weekend (9) Weekend (10) Weekend (11)

 

Well after such a good day, we decided that we could go on and work the wheel boxes, after a slight miscalculation we decided to call it a day and try again on Tuesday.

So just home from a good evening in the workshop, we started to build the seat boxes, with such a complicated shape it was a challenge getting them right.  but we did it and here they are:

Tuesday (1) Tuesday (2) Tuesday (3) Tuesday (4) Tuesday (5) Tuesday (6) Tuesday (7) Tuesday (8) Tuesday (9) Tuesday (10) Tuesday (11) Tuesday (12) Tuesday (13) Tuesday (14) Tuesday (15)

Advertisements

Car 2 : Moved

Well small update that’s not so important, we have moved the car to the place where it is going to be built up.

Landy-on-trailer

Now its there we will finish the strip down, remove the last bits of body work and axles.  The plan so far is, leave engine and boxes on the chassis.  take the axles off, rub down and paint.

Things like the radius arms and trailing arms I will get shot blasted and then paint them up.

The replacement chassis has been on order for 6 weeks now so in theory it should be here in the next 2 weeks.  Our optimistic deadline for completion is going to be End of August this year.

Car 2 – Tub Started – Updated

Well today we finally started work on the tub for car 2, we first thought the sheets would be 10 x 5 but we ended up with 8 x 4 so got 4 sheets. one would make the rear wings and rear tub sections.

So, Step 1, nice clean sheet of metal :

DSC_2218

Step 2 : a trip to the plasma cutter, we have the 2 parts for the rear wings :

DSC_2219 (Small) DSC_2222 (Small)

Step 3 : cut in some details for the shape

DSC_2223 (Small)

Step 4 : Put an initial bend in from where to start the radius

DSC_2224 (Small)

Step 5 : Put into jig to form radius and bend

DSC_2226 (Small) DSC_2230 (Small)

Step 6 : Add additional details such as the top bend and the semi circle for the window section mounts.

DSC_2231 (Small)

Step 7 : Using a wooden template of the wheel arch mark out the returns needed and cut, then clamp 2 bits of wood either side of the sheet to form the arch and returns. Bash with hammer till they follow the shape.

DSC_2236 (Small)

Step 8 : Remove the wood and then check with eyebrow and against existing tub

DSC_2240 (Small) DSC_2243 (Small)

Time taken to create 2 wings, 5 hrs 30, this included setting up of all equipment, taking measurements, making them and packing away afterwards. All in all not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Updated – Tuesday 16/07/2013

As part of the same sheet we planned to make the 2 rear quarter panels for the lower tub section. In lunch time Monday this is what was achieved:

Section of sheet cut down to size, marked and the radius cut out:

20130716-114953.jpg

Then all bent up and offered up to the rear wing.

20130716-115057.jpg

Car 1 : Progress this week

Well, a productive week for the story of car 1, including the collection of a whole load of parts won on ebay from over the river in Liverpool and the eventual purchase of the bush kit.

After seeing the item on ebay a whole load of parts in pictures the item was won so on Wednesday we went off to collect, and we were surprised by how much stuff there was. Here are a couple of pictures:

IMG_0164 IMG_0165 IMG_0166 IMG_0167 IMG_0168 IMG_0169 IMG_0170 IMG_0171 IMG_0172

Items of note include a front axle with free wheeling hubs, 4 windscreens, 2 rear screen sections and a whole lot more

The next big job was bush replacement, we were starting with the chassis bushes, so out with a home made puller, a good length of M10 stud iron, nuts, washers and length of scaffold tube. after a few hours we had the inner tubes and rubber out, just the outer metal tube remained. with the use of a hacksaw, chisels and hammers they were soon out too. Then it was in with the new britpart polybush kit.

IMG_0174 IMG_0175 IMG_0176 IMG_0177

The issue with the bushes

20130708-204306.jpg