In the aim of a productive end to 2013 we are again in the workshop, this time with the majority of the remaining body panels.
So far they have been
The only panels remaining on the body work are three doors, the two foot well floors and the roof. As per original car the roof will stay white but we will be rubbing down and a fresh coat of paint.
Well we are working through one of the trickiest parts of the rebuild now, reconnecting the wiring.
At the beginning of the process as the wiring was removed we took pictures to see what goes where, the problem i have now is the phone they were taken on has been wiped and don’t have any copies of them.
With the new chassis loom in place I have soldered in connections to the old plugs matching wires from old to new. But this leaves a few spares that weren’t put in to the new wiring.
In the main plugs on the engine side I have the following wires with nothing connected
- Purple [Aux Trailer Power]
- Red Green [Rear Wash Wipe]
- Green [Rear Wash Wipe]
- Green Black [Rear Wash Wipe]
- Brown Green [Rear Wash Wipe]
As the car doesn’t have rear wash wipe I have put these cables inside the dashboard so they are out of the way, if ever needed they can be reinstated.
Then on the interior side of the bulkhead the following
- 2 x Brown White
- Green White [RH Indicator]
The wires above were found on an old picture that shows they were connected in to the fuse box.
- Red Green
- Green Black
- Brown Green
These wires were related to the rear wash wipe system so have been hidden out the way for now.
- Green Purple [Brakes]
- Green LIght Green
These were passed through the bulkhead and connected to the brake pedal switch.
- Red White [Dash Illumination]
- Blue White
When all the connections at the bulkhead end are made we will then run the wiring in to the tub and start to put bullet connections on for the lights. Then it will be a game of connect the battery and see what works.
Well after a bit of fabrication we have got the exhaust connected up including a custom made stainless front pipe.
For now the sections are bolted together loosely using nylocs but will be changing these for aerotight nuts before its classed as finished but this should be within the week.
Well now the bulkhead has a coat of paint on, we can start putting things back together.
So far we have fitted the new clutch pedal and plumbed it in so now its all working.
Next job for this weekend is bring the tub indoors and start to rub down ready for priming.
Car 1 is slowly moving forward!! We recently posted that we were aiming for the car to be running by the 20th november, however due to holidays and the lack of a bank balance, this plan backfired. But we have been doing work on the bulkhead, 30 spot welds later the old feet eventually came out and the new feet have been welded in, so jobs for this car now are to prime and paint the bulkhead and mount it onto the chassis, we also have the dreaded task of searching for all the bits again now!!!
Bulkhead has had its first coat of primer today, the new green will be added tomorrow….. I have took a photo of the can… Very exciting!!!!!
This week after taking the car out at night on empty roads we realised how bad the lighting is for driving, so decided that wiring additional lights was a priority.
A light bar that had previously been fitted to car 2 was rubbed down and painted to match the colour scheme and bolted on the roof.
An afternoon of wiring later the lights were all wired up and working. This should help when on empty roads at night.