Car 1 : Good Progress

Well after the haul of new parts in the last post it would have been wrong not to have started bolting them on as soon as we have time.

So a lot of time this weekend was put to getting parts on the car and see good progress, so Saturday was spent mostly carrying out repairs to the garage as there was a problem with one of the corners.  While this was happening we took all the body work off the chassis allowing better access to the chassis.

First parts to be fitted were the exhaust, after a bit of twisting and swearing we got the front pipe in place, twisting under the chassis cross member but over the gearbox one.  once in place the other sections were put in place and then all bolted together and adjusted to keep it away from anything that would cause a rattle.

We also pressed out and fitted the new seals and bearing to the front hubs but it was then too late to refit them, that was a job for Sunday.

On Sunday after a slightly later start than planned came the replacement of the front hubs they slid on nicely and were bolted up in a matter of minutes. The ends of the front hubs will be replaced in the near future with a set of free wheeling hubs that we have on a spare axle in storage.  We also bolted in the pipe from lift pump to carburetor so most of the fuel system is now completed.

Then we moved on to fitting the brake refurbish kits to each corner, so on with new wheel cylinders, shoes, springs and drums.  Within an hour all 4 were done and the wheels back on the car.

We then moved to the hand brake for which we had new shoes and springs and had the drum machined to remove the rust and give a nice smooth surface.

20140114-085805.jpg

20140114-085814.jpg

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Car 1 : Good Progress

  1. mud4fun

    You did well in the end then. How did you find the Britpart hubs and drums etc? I found mine to be excellent and the ones we fitted to our 109″ three years ago have suffered no issues at all. It seems some things in blue boxes are actually very good 🙂

    Reply
  2. landyrebuilds Post author

    Yeah they all went on really well, had no issues during fitting which always makes a change with a Land Rover.

    We had thought about skimming old brake drums at first at a cost of £10 each, but for £20 new ones could be fitted so went down that route instead.

    All being well more things in blue boxes will be as good as we have a fair amount of britpart to bolt on.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s