Monthly Archives: August 2014

Car 1 : Wiring started

Last week showed yet more progress on the car, the tub was bolted down to the chassis fully, the sides and roof were bolted down to the tub and the inner sills put in place, so the shape of the car is now fixed.  with it being mostly covered we then moved on to other jobs that were needed.

Over the weekend we started to look at the wiring of the car, the autosparks loom is set up on the car and now just needing to find where the connections go to.

So far we have the start system set up so with a key we can turn the engine over, next up will be making sure the warning lamps for the engine work.  When the engine wiring is all done and we are happy we can then progress to fitting the wings and lights.

Advertisements

Car 1 : Update on rebuild

Well here is a long awaited update on the progress of car 1.

In the last update the tub had been painted and the cappings put on, wiring loom threaded in to chassis, brakes completed, steering.

Since this the seatbox has been painted green, bits on it have been detailed in black such as the latches for the seat tops.  The rear body work sections have also been painted green and bolted on to the black roof.  This is now sat on the tub in place ready to be bolted down when we are ready.

IMG_0481.JPG

Plans for this week include getting the inner sills bolted back in place, the seatbox bolted in and the rubbing down and painting of the wings and bonnet.  they will all be fitted once we have the engine wired up and running correctly.

IMG_0489.JPG

We have actually started the engine in the last couple of weeks but it just revved so after a bit of diagnosis we think there is an issue with the webber carb that is fitted, it will be replaced in the next 2 weeks with a zenith copy so we shouldn’t have any more issues there.

 

 

Car 4 : Update on rebuild

Well this is a quick update on progress of car 4’s rebuild, there has been so much done to be documented fully.

Front axles rebuilt fully

Chassis rubbed down, repaired & painted

Front & Rear springs replaced with parabolic springs & new shocks fitted

Bulkhead – stripped, repaired, primed, painted, rebuilt & refitted

Front Grill panel – stripped, repaired, primed, painted and refitted

Engine – refurbished, refitted and running.

New exhaust system fitted

Wings & bonnet have been rubbed down primed, painted and fitted

Hopefully we will get a more detailed update with photos soon.

UPDATE:

Over the weekend we did enough work that the engine now fires up using the key and the car has had a short drive around the garden to give it a little test and move around under the car port.

Most of the front electricals have been sorted now.  Side, Dipped, Main and indicator lamps all work, along with the horn.  so left to wire is the washer pump and heater motor.  A rear chassis loom has also been made and will be plugged in tonight and tested for the rear lights.  The next big step is getting the panels all lined up before they get painted and any holes than need drilling can be put in.

Car 2 : Lighting Upgrade Part 2

Well after the dashboard lighting was improved with LED’s after some issues with the Britpart lamp kit I fitted during the rebuild which included the plastic housings melting on the stop tail lights!

A few weeks ago i purchased Wipac LED lights for the outside of the car, 2 front side lights, 2 stop / tail lights and indicators front and back.  The kit also came with a flasher relay designed for the lower power consumption of the LED’s

The main issue with the lamps were the wiring connections that were for 300tdi + cars so I also purchased adapters to bullet connections.  Also the mounting points were 2 screws on the horizontal centre line of the light.

So I had to drill the body work for the mounting holes then removed the old lights and bolted the new ones in place and connected them up.  

There is one fault with the LED indicators that they only work if wired backwards, they work fine with indicators but the hazard switch currently isn’t working so thats something to look at.