Category Archives: Axles

Car 1 : Progressing

Well this update is a couple of weeks over due, namely getting round to writing it but the recent progress has been :

Shocks fitted, after trying to fit the shocks with the poly bushes we found them to be a very tight fit so we ended up making a tool that allowed the pin to be put in while the bush was compressed with a clamp.  this worked a treat and in no time all 4 shocks were in place.

Rear Check Straps, once the shocks were in place we fitted the new straps and bolted up tightly.

Brake Lines, we have fitted a set of standard length braided brake hoses originally planned for car 2, but they were too short. Next step for brake lines will be running the full lengths of copper pipe and completing the brake system.

Front Grill, the front grill section has been painted green, it will have 1 more coat then can be refitted to the chassis along with a new radiator that has been purchased, the original was beyond repair.

Advertisements

Car 1 : Good Progress

Well after the haul of new parts in the last post it would have been wrong not to have started bolting them on as soon as we have time.

So a lot of time this weekend was put to getting parts on the car and see good progress, so Saturday was spent mostly carrying out repairs to the garage as there was a problem with one of the corners.  While this was happening we took all the body work off the chassis allowing better access to the chassis.

First parts to be fitted were the exhaust, after a bit of twisting and swearing we got the front pipe in place, twisting under the chassis cross member but over the gearbox one.  once in place the other sections were put in place and then all bolted together and adjusted to keep it away from anything that would cause a rattle.

We also pressed out and fitted the new seals and bearing to the front hubs but it was then too late to refit them, that was a job for Sunday.

On Sunday after a slightly later start than planned came the replacement of the front hubs they slid on nicely and were bolted up in a matter of minutes. The ends of the front hubs will be replaced in the near future with a set of free wheeling hubs that we have on a spare axle in storage.  We also bolted in the pipe from lift pump to carburetor so most of the fuel system is now completed.

Then we moved on to fitting the brake refurbish kits to each corner, so on with new wheel cylinders, shoes, springs and drums.  Within an hour all 4 were done and the wheels back on the car.

We then moved to the hand brake for which we had new shoes and springs and had the drum machined to remove the rust and give a nice smooth surface.

20140114-085805.jpg

20140114-085814.jpg

Car 1 : Progress and Parts

As a bit of a birthday present to the owner of car 1 lots of parts have now been ordered for the car which should allow for a big jump in the progress.

As of writing, the rear hub bearings have been replaced and fitted back to the car, new UJ’s have been fitted to the rear prop, the hand brake drum has been skimmed ready for refitting. and brake overhaul kits are standing by ready to be fitted.

The pile of purchased goods also contains:

  • 4 x Shock Absorber
  • Bearing kits for both axles
  • Brake drums for both axles
  • Brake overhaul kits including cylinders, springs and shoes
  • Alternator
  • Brake pedal assembly
  • Full exhaust system & mounts
  • Floor supports for the tub
  • Diff pinion oil seals
  • Speedo cable
  • Braided brake hoses
  • Tank to lift pump fuel pipe
  • wiring loom has been ordered from autosparks.co.uk

20140110-101335.jpg

 

20140110-101826.jpg

Other progress made recently includes painting of the windscreens surround, we have gone for black on this to try and tone down the green a bit.  and just to check we popped the other bits of the body on to see the shape of things to come.

20140110-100820.jpg

 

20140110-100831.jpg

We have also made up 2 repairs for the rear 1/4 panels of the tub, the bottoms of them have corroded so we have made up some repairs based on the templates for car 2.

So busy times ahead working on the car hopefully will have it further along in no time.