Category Archives: Bodywork

Car 1 : Wiring started

Last week showed yet more progress on the car, the tub was bolted down to the chassis fully, the sides and roof were bolted down to the tub and the inner sills put in place, so the shape of the car is now fixed.  with it being mostly covered we then moved on to other jobs that were needed.

Over the weekend we started to look at the wiring of the car, the autosparks loom is set up on the car and now just needing to find where the connections go to.

So far we have the start system set up so with a key we can turn the engine over, next up will be making sure the warning lamps for the engine work.  When the engine wiring is all done and we are happy we can then progress to fitting the wings and lights.

Advertisements

Car 1 : Update on rebuild

Well here is a long awaited update on the progress of car 1.

In the last update the tub had been painted and the cappings put on, wiring loom threaded in to chassis, brakes completed, steering.

Since this the seatbox has been painted green, bits on it have been detailed in black such as the latches for the seat tops.  The rear body work sections have also been painted green and bolted on to the black roof.  This is now sat on the tub in place ready to be bolted down when we are ready.

IMG_0481.JPG

Plans for this week include getting the inner sills bolted back in place, the seatbox bolted in and the rubbing down and painting of the wings and bonnet.  they will all be fitted once we have the engine wired up and running correctly.

IMG_0489.JPG

We have actually started the engine in the last couple of weeks but it just revved so after a bit of diagnosis we think there is an issue with the webber carb that is fitted, it will be replaced in the next 2 weeks with a zenith copy so we shouldn’t have any more issues there.

 

 

Car 1: Even more progress

So today has been a very productive day,
We painted all the tub cappings, put them back on the tub and riveted them in with nearly 180 rivets. We then fitted the tub to the chassis and bolted into place. Before this, we fed the new wiring loom through the chassis, once the tub was fitted we then fed the loom into the tub.

All the brake lines are fitted apart from the master cylinder and the splitter.

All the steering components are fitted together

Next on the agenda is to sort out the seat box and front flooring and get that fitted into place.

Then we will have the fun with the wiring and try to get the engine running…

20140421-104102 pm.jpg

20140421-104110 pm.jpg

20140421-104119 pm.jpg

20140421-104126 pm.jpg

20140421-104134 pm.jpg

20140421-104142 pm.jpg

20140421-104148 pm.jpg

Car 1 : Progressing

Well this update is a couple of weeks over due, namely getting round to writing it but the recent progress has been :

Shocks fitted, after trying to fit the shocks with the poly bushes we found them to be a very tight fit so we ended up making a tool that allowed the pin to be put in while the bush was compressed with a clamp.  this worked a treat and in no time all 4 shocks were in place.

Rear Check Straps, once the shocks were in place we fitted the new straps and bolted up tightly.

Brake Lines, we have fitted a set of standard length braided brake hoses originally planned for car 2, but they were too short. Next step for brake lines will be running the full lengths of copper pipe and completing the brake system.

Front Grill, the front grill section has been painted green, it will have 1 more coat then can be refitted to the chassis along with a new radiator that has been purchased, the original was beyond repair.

Car 1 : Paint Starting

Car 1 is slowly moving forward!! We recently posted that we were aiming for the car to be running by the 20th november, however due to holidays and the lack of a bank balance, this plan backfired. But we have been doing work on the bulkhead, 30 spot welds later the old feet eventually came out and the new feet have been welded in, so jobs for this car now are to prime and paint the bulkhead and mount it onto the chassis, we also have the dreaded task of searching for all the bits again now!!!

Bulkhead has had its first coat of primer today, the new green will be added tomorrow….. I have took a photo of the can… Very exciting!!!!!