Category Archives: Axles & Suspension

Car 4 : Update on rebuild

Well this is a quick update on progress of car 4’s rebuild, there has been so much done to be documented fully.

Front axles rebuilt fully

Chassis rubbed down, repaired & painted

Front & Rear springs replaced with parabolic springs & new shocks fitted

Bulkhead – stripped, repaired, primed, painted, rebuilt & refitted

Front Grill panel – stripped, repaired, primed, painted and refitted

Engine – refurbished, refitted and running.

New exhaust system fitted

Wings & bonnet have been rubbed down primed, painted and fitted

Hopefully we will get a more detailed update with photos soon.

UPDATE:

Over the weekend we did enough work that the engine now fires up using the key and the car has had a short drive around the garden to give it a little test and move around under the car port.

Most of the front electricals have been sorted now.  Side, Dipped, Main and indicator lamps all work, along with the horn.  so left to wire is the washer pump and heater motor.  A rear chassis loom has also been made and will be plugged in tonight and tested for the rear lights.  The next big step is getting the panels all lined up before they get painted and any holes than need drilling can be put in.

Advertisements

Car 2 : Suspension Change

Well after running the car for a few weeks we noticed that the steering wasn’t as good as before the rebuild and we had put it down to castor issues after fitting 2 inch lift springs.

So we purchased a set of AllMakes springs that were standard height and today we got around to fitting them.  We lifted the back of the car letting the axle droop a little then compressed the springs and got them out.  We could slip the new ones back in without the spring compressors so bolted the retaining plates back in and the back was done.

The fronts were slightly harder, we had to remove the bottom nut of the shock absorber compressed the springs and then the shock we had just enough time to pull it out before the shock extended again.  a bit longer and a bit of a harder job but we got it done, in the space of a couple of hours we had all the springs done and it bolted back down again.

This improved the issues we had with steering massively the car now feels pretty much as it did before the rebuild which is great news.

Also while working today we topped up the oil a bit more after the running in and also re bled the brakes.

Car 2 : 6 Weeks on

Well car 2 has been on the road for 6 weeks now, with no major mechanical issues to report there are just some minor things we are wanting to look at.

Air Filter

We have recently taken out the air filter housing finished making little changes to the feed pipe and painted.  we went with a spray version of ht Gentian blue the car is painted in and we are happy with the finish.

Thermostat

The car is currently without a thermostat, with it fitted the temp gauge goes very high and was causing concern to us.  The thermostat was taken out and tested on the cooker and opened fine, so we think we need to refit and find out how to bleed the 200TDI cooling system.

Steering

We have some concerns over the steering, we are getting a bit of movement while driving along and your never sure about how much steering to put in when going round corners.

We have spoken to the company that provided the suspension kit and discussed the issues, and the outcome was, the movement while driving might be a side effect of the 50mm lift on the coil springs, making the panhard rod be changing the alignment of the front and rear axles so the car is essentially crabbing along the road.

The vague steering might be caused by the castor of the front axles being out with the lift.

So we are currently looking at the solutions,

Option 1 : fit castor correction arms and adjustable pan hard rod – approx cost £420 allows to keep the new TF201 kit intact

Option 2 : fit standard height springs that should solve the castor and pan hard rod issues – approx cost £80 means working to change the springs all round.

Will update the blog when choices are made.

 

Car 2 : Chassis Rolling

Well after a busy weekend and a hard couple of nights the chassis is now sitting on the axles and rolling on its own.

Having fitted all new poly bushes and BZP bolts, all that is left to do is tighten them to correct torque and mark that they are done.

The one word of warning anyone thinking about doing a rebuild is if the chassis is lifted on a jack make sure you can get your arms out if it slips.  I have learnt this after the rear spring seat landed on my arm.

20130905-113454.jpg

Next up is hope the Richards Gearbox Cross Member is delivered soon so that I can paint and fit that before dropping in the engine and box.

Car 2 : Bits back from blasting

Well 10 am today got a call that parts were ready to be collected from shot blasting. After 24 hours I was impressed, and at £50 I think good value. So many thanks to impact engineering wallasey would certainly use them again.

So picked them up and then primed and painted. Here are a couple of pictures.

20130828-232345.jpg

20130828-232351.jpg

20130828-232357.jpg

20130828-232401.jpg

20130828-232407.jpg

20130828-232417.jpg

20130828-232412.jpg

20130828-232340.jpg