Category Archives: Electrics

Articles about electrical items

Car 2 : More test fitting

Well after finishing the repairs to the near side door, we too it to the car and have test fitted it.  the alignment looks pretty close which we are happy about, so far the body is pretty loose and should all come good in the end.

20140110-093104.jpg

20140110-093126.jpg

20140110-093119.jpg

Other progress made this week was more painting, this time the fuel tank has had a coat of chassis black paint and is bolted back in to place.  It will be coming out again soon so we can bolt in the inner sills then should remain in place.  I have also purchased new filler hose, filler neck and breather pipe.

Also have purchased a number of electrical items, including battery cable, an x-eng x-fan thermostat and a set of Carling Contura II switches for controls of some circuits that will be added in the future.

The plan for the next couple of weeks is to prep and paint the roof, fit the x-fan and look to get the battery hooked up and test the circuits.

Advertisements

Car 2 : Electrical Update

Well we are working through one of the trickiest parts of the rebuild now, reconnecting the wiring.

At the beginning of the process as the wiring was removed we took pictures to see what goes where, the problem i have now is the phone they were taken on has been wiped and don’t have any copies of them.

With the new chassis loom in place I have soldered in connections to the old plugs matching wires from old to new.  But this leaves a few spares that weren’t put in to the new wiring.

In the main plugs on the engine side I have the following wires with nothing connected

  • Purple  [Aux Trailer Power]
  • Red Green  [Rear Wash Wipe]
  • Green  [Rear Wash Wipe]
  • Green Black  [Rear Wash Wipe]
  • Brown Green [Rear Wash Wipe]

As the car doesn’t have rear wash wipe I have put these cables inside the dashboard so they are out of the way, if ever needed they can be reinstated.

Then on the interior side of the bulkhead the following

  • 2 x Brown White
  • Green
  • Green White  [RH Indicator]

The wires above were found on an old picture that shows they were connected in to the fuse box.

  • Red Green
  • Green Black
  • Brown Green

These wires were related to the rear wash wipe system so have been hidden out the way for now.

  • Green Purple  [Brakes]
  • Green LIght Green

These were passed through the bulkhead and connected to the brake pedal switch.

  • Red White  [Dash Illumination]
  • Blue White

When all the connections at the bulkhead end are made we will then run the wiring in to the tub and start to put bullet connections on for the lights.  Then it will be a game of connect the battery and see what works.

Car 2 : Update

Well updating the blog has lapsed a little over recent weeks partly down to being busy.  But here is a list of bits that have been done since the last updated.  Pictures to follow this weekend.

Wiring Harness has been put into conduit and fed through the chassis, just need to move plugs from old harness to the new one and crimp on bullets then that will mostly be done.

Brake system is now totally finished, we have added +2 brake lines as the spring kit we have used is actually a +2 light load springs. but all pipes are run, callipers reinstalled with new pads and all bled.

Steering, the Power Steering box has now been bolted on to the chassis and the column all connected up, all that is left to do is fill with ATF and then realign the wheel as its 90 degrees off at present.

Bulkhead, things such as the vent flaps are now installed, along with the wash wipe systems and parts of the dashboard its self.  Last weekend we also bolted the fuse box back in to place and started moving the wires in to the correct locations.  Hopefully in the near future we will be rebuilding more of the dashboard so they are all hidden away and it should be in a working state again once we get the battery in.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Exhaust, After going down the route of a defender 200tdi exhaust system instead of the old 2.25 system that had been used before we are having to adapt the down pipe that was used previously we need to make it 14 inches longer and also drop a small distance so it mates we the new pipes.

Body Work, rear window sections are repaired and now require prep and paint, hopefully we will also prep the seat box, wind screen wings and bonnet at the same time so we can have a full weekend spraying the parts and take them all down in one go, save mixing paint over different days.

20131209-232836.jpg

20131209-232843.jpg

20131209-232850.jpg

20131209-232906.jpg

20131209-232856.jpg