Well after running the car for a few weeks we noticed that the steering wasn’t as good as before the rebuild and we had put it down to castor issues after fitting 2 inch lift springs.
So we purchased a set of AllMakes springs that were standard height and today we got around to fitting them. We lifted the back of the car letting the axle droop a little then compressed the springs and got them out. We could slip the new ones back in without the spring compressors so bolted the retaining plates back in and the back was done.
The fronts were slightly harder, we had to remove the bottom nut of the shock absorber compressed the springs and then the shock we had just enough time to pull it out before the shock extended again. a bit longer and a bit of a harder job but we got it done, in the space of a couple of hours we had all the springs done and it bolted back down again.
This improved the issues we had with steering massively the car now feels pretty much as it did before the rebuild which is great news.
Also while working today we topped up the oil a bit more after the running in and also re bled the brakes.
Well this update is a couple of weeks over due, namely getting round to writing it but the recent progress has been :
Shocks fitted, after trying to fit the shocks with the poly bushes we found them to be a very tight fit so we ended up making a tool that allowed the pin to be put in while the bush was compressed with a clamp. this worked a treat and in no time all 4 shocks were in place.
Rear Check Straps, once the shocks were in place we fitted the new straps and bolted up tightly.
Brake Lines, we have fitted a set of standard length braided brake hoses originally planned for car 2, but they were too short. Next step for brake lines will be running the full lengths of copper pipe and completing the brake system.
Front Grill, the front grill section has been painted green, it will have 1 more coat then can be refitted to the chassis along with a new radiator that has been purchased, the original was beyond repair.
Well after the haul of new parts in the last post it would have been wrong not to have started bolting them on as soon as we have time.
So a lot of time this weekend was put to getting parts on the car and see good progress, so Saturday was spent mostly carrying out repairs to the garage as there was a problem with one of the corners. While this was happening we took all the body work off the chassis allowing better access to the chassis.
First parts to be fitted were the exhaust, after a bit of twisting and swearing we got the front pipe in place, twisting under the chassis cross member but over the gearbox one. once in place the other sections were put in place and then all bolted together and adjusted to keep it away from anything that would cause a rattle.
We also pressed out and fitted the new seals and bearing to the front hubs but it was then too late to refit them, that was a job for Sunday.
On Sunday after a slightly later start than planned came the replacement of the front hubs they slid on nicely and were bolted up in a matter of minutes. The ends of the front hubs will be replaced in the near future with a set of free wheeling hubs that we have on a spare axle in storage. We also bolted in the pipe from lift pump to carburetor so most of the fuel system is now completed.
Then we moved on to fitting the brake refurbish kits to each corner, so on with new wheel cylinders, shoes, springs and drums. Within an hour all 4 were done and the wheels back on the car.
We then moved to the hand brake for which we had new shoes and springs and had the drum machined to remove the rust and give a nice smooth surface.