Tag Archives: bushes

Car 2 : Chassis Rolling

Well after a busy weekend and a hard couple of nights the chassis is now sitting on the axles and rolling on its own.

Having fitted all new poly bushes and BZP bolts, all that is left to do is tighten them to correct torque and mark that they are done.

The one word of warning anyone thinking about doing a rebuild is if the chassis is lifted on a jack make sure you can get your arms out if it slips.  I have learnt this after the rear spring seat landed on my arm.

20130905-113454.jpg

Next up is hope the Richards Gearbox Cross Member is delivered soon so that I can paint and fit that before dropping in the engine and box.

Advertisements

Bank Holiday Bumper Update

First things first, due to computer being a bit of a pain the photos will follow shortly.

Well what a bank holiday weekend it has been, first one this year where we have actually had both cars to work on. Plus maybe a couple of side projects.

So here is the update.

Car 1 :

Well after a bit of time with little progress this weekend has been a big jump. Most of the delays have been down to the issue with the bushes we last reported in the poly bushes being too short and a gap being in the chassis. So new bushes were purchased and then on Saturday using a fly press pushed them in to the axles and chassis.

20130826-225453.jpgAfter noticing a bit of weakness in the rear cross member welding we decided to weld in some plates to strengthen the mount, so some grinding and welding later we are happy its stronger.

20130826-225447.jpg

So the paint was touched up and the axles all bolted to the chassis hopefully for the last time.

20130826-225459.jpg

Next up the engine came back to the build location after a checking over, a quick coat of green paint it was mounted back to the chassis along with the fuel tank.

20130826-225514.jpg

Also trial fitted the bulkhead and wings from car 2.

20130826-225544.jpg

Car 2 :

Well this week we have removed all the last bits from the old chassis, the last bits off were the A Frame and brackets, these were heavily rusted so required grinding off.

A number of parts were removed so they could go for shot blasting before refitting, these parts are :

  • 2 x Radius Arms
  • 2 x Trailing Arms
  • 2 x A Frame Arms
  • 2 x A Frame Chassis Brackets
  • 2 x Top Rear Shock Mounts
  • Panhard Rod
  • Fuel Tank front bracket

These will hopefully be in Tuesday morning and back this week.

The axles for the car were also rubbed down and primed ready for painting before they go back on hopefully before the weekend.

While the axles were dry and not yet bolted to the car we decided to change the bearings and brake disks. Again the fly press helped pushing the bearings in to place and in the day the rear axle was done, just the front to do now.

Car 3 :

After a bit of work this project has been put on hold for now and may be scrapped in the future, we shall see.

Car 4 :

A silver 300 tdi disco, this is a normal road car for one of the lads, after smashing a rear diff earlier this year a replacement pan was welded in to place but had always had a little leak as it was welded in place, so as the weather was nice we decided to remove the axle and weld in the garage.

After trying we found it still leaked so the axle is still off for now so this will be on going for now.

20130826-225441.jpg

Car 5 :

Well car 5 strictly shouldn’t appear on the blog as its not a Land Rover and the owner doesn’t have a Land Rover but he is one of the group of friends so we are putting it on.

The car is a Toyota Celica Race car that is a just starting project, There is no clear direction yet but we shall update the blog with more information. This weekend no work was done, but we did sell a spare set of wheels that came with the car so all good for now.

Car 1 : Progress this week

Well, a productive week for the story of car 1, including the collection of a whole load of parts won on ebay from over the river in Liverpool and the eventual purchase of the bush kit.

After seeing the item on ebay a whole load of parts in pictures the item was won so on Wednesday we went off to collect, and we were surprised by how much stuff there was. Here are a couple of pictures:

IMG_0164 IMG_0165 IMG_0166 IMG_0167 IMG_0168 IMG_0169 IMG_0170 IMG_0171 IMG_0172

Items of note include a front axle with free wheeling hubs, 4 windscreens, 2 rear screen sections and a whole lot more

The next big job was bush replacement, we were starting with the chassis bushes, so out with a home made puller, a good length of M10 stud iron, nuts, washers and length of scaffold tube. after a few hours we had the inner tubes and rubber out, just the outer metal tube remained. with the use of a hacksaw, chisels and hammers they were soon out too. Then it was in with the new britpart polybush kit.

IMG_0174 IMG_0175 IMG_0176 IMG_0177

The issue with the bushes

20130708-204306.jpg