Tag Archives: exhaust

Tom’s Car : Started

Well last night we finally got round to starting work on changing Tom’s chassis.  This time round we are going to try and take the body off the car in one piece so that we haven’t got to worry about lining all the panels back up at the end of it.

To do this we have got 3 editions of Land Rover Monthly, which handily show the the process using a 2 post ramp to remove the body.  while we are reliant on human power we think it can be done.

So last night we carried out the following steps:

  • Removed the 10 M8 x 20 bolts from the rear of the tub to cross member tabs
  • Removed the 4 screws holding the filler neck to the tub
  • Removed the Gear lever
  • Removed handbrake cable
  • Removed front bumper

The next steps will be undoing the other connections between body and chassis such as fixing bolts electricals and ancillaries then looking to remove the wings and bonnet to make the body work removal easier.

image

image

Advertisements

Car 2 : Next Steps

Well now the car is taxed, tested and insured, the post rebuild job list is building:

Body Work – Need to find the part number of the clips that secure the front door galv trims so they can be put back on.

We now have the part number just need to go about fitting them.  Part is MUC3186.

Fuel Gauge – Not working, will replace sender as one of the spades snapped off.

Speedo Cable – Didn’t give accurate reading on way to MOT, tried resitting in to the dial, if this doesn’t solve the problem I will replace cable.

Resolved – The refitting has solved it and now getting an accurate reading.

Thermostat – Replaced during rebuild but wasn’t opening at temperature so will replace again.

Exhaust – Is causing vibrations through the car so want to fit a small length of flex to the down pipe to help reduce vibration.

Air Intake – The position of the air filter meant that with the bonnet shut it was being pressed against the alternator and bonnet causing engine vibration to transfer to body work. We are going to look at a couple of options for this so that the air intake is as waterproof as we can get it.

Rocker Cover – There is a small leak from the rocker cover, I think a britpart component was fitted last time so will look to replace with a genuine item and hopefully sort that advisory out.

PAS Box – The leak on the return pipe i think is down to a missing o ring, so we are going to try and fit one see if that solves the problem, if not spend the money on the correct pipe for the job.

Audio – Need to refit the cars radio for entertaining on trips.

Off Road Prep – I still have a steering and 2 diff guards to fit back to the car, which should help protect when I go off road again.  Also have a CB radio to fit to the dashboard

Security Devices – we have a couple of security devices fitted to the car already, we will be looking to add more to this for extra peace of mind.

Towing Equipment – at the moment no towing equipment has been fitted to the car so this is something that will be looked at.

Slightly longer term items will be:

Winch bumper – while purchasing parts a couple of months back I tempted myself into buying a Huskey winch, so in time we will be looking to make a suitable winch bumper for the car.

Interior – One thing i didn’t look at during the rebuild were the seats.  they could do with re trimming as the backs have split, also the frames could do with painting.  We are also going to look at seating ideas for the back of the car.

Car 1 : Good Progress

Well after the haul of new parts in the last post it would have been wrong not to have started bolting them on as soon as we have time.

So a lot of time this weekend was put to getting parts on the car and see good progress, so Saturday was spent mostly carrying out repairs to the garage as there was a problem with one of the corners.  While this was happening we took all the body work off the chassis allowing better access to the chassis.

First parts to be fitted were the exhaust, after a bit of twisting and swearing we got the front pipe in place, twisting under the chassis cross member but over the gearbox one.  once in place the other sections were put in place and then all bolted together and adjusted to keep it away from anything that would cause a rattle.

We also pressed out and fitted the new seals and bearing to the front hubs but it was then too late to refit them, that was a job for Sunday.

On Sunday after a slightly later start than planned came the replacement of the front hubs they slid on nicely and were bolted up in a matter of minutes. The ends of the front hubs will be replaced in the near future with a set of free wheeling hubs that we have on a spare axle in storage.  We also bolted in the pipe from lift pump to carburetor so most of the fuel system is now completed.

Then we moved on to fitting the brake refurbish kits to each corner, so on with new wheel cylinders, shoes, springs and drums.  Within an hour all 4 were done and the wheels back on the car.

We then moved to the hand brake for which we had new shoes and springs and had the drum machined to remove the rust and give a nice smooth surface.

20140114-085805.jpg

20140114-085814.jpg