Well after a couple of weeks work we have finished doing the metal repairs to the doors.
Where needed the doors have had the rusty frame cut out and replaced with home made sections.
The N/S door was in need of a lot of work we replaced almost half the frame.
The O/S door only required the bottom replacing
The Rear door was a little rusty plus also bent from a small collision a couple of years ago with a metal bollard. The rear door also had its main skin replaced as it was in too bad a state and not too expensive to buy.
The front doors could do with new skins in time but the best price that we can find at the moment is £114 each, so it may be a plan in the future to make some ourselves.
Soon we will be prepping the doors for painting then can be taken to the car after being built up again.
When painting the car there was discussions over what colour to paint the roof, should we go white like the original scheme or should we body colour similar to the more modern cars.
To add a bit of contrast to all the blue we decided to paint it original white also known as Ivory White. So a trip to Car Paint UK with the name and the LRC code and they mixed up 2 liters for us. This was primed and sprayed over a weekend then put wrapped up as we weren’t finished just yet.
To add a unique look to the car we decided that the strengthening bars on the top could be painted the same blue as the body work. So we masked up the bits in between and got busy with the brush.
After leaving to dry for the night we came back and weren’t 100% happy with the finish, so out with the wet and dry and then mixed up a small amount of blue to spray.
The spray was giving a much nicer finish so after a number of coats again left to dry over night. When we came back to it the finish was much more uniform and smoother than the brush.
The next job was removing all the masking and see how it looked in the end. We weren’t disappointed by how it looked.
There was a bit of running off the bars but as its the roof we weren’t that bothered, if we decide in the future to neaten it can be reverse masked and either sprayed white again or just touched in with a brush.
Then all that was left was to take the roof from the workshop to the build and store in the safest place possible.
With a couple of bolts holding it in place it now won’t fall off and shouldn’t get scratched up there.
As a bit of a birthday present to the owner of car 1 lots of parts have now been ordered for the car which should allow for a big jump in the progress.
As of writing, the rear hub bearings have been replaced and fitted back to the car, new UJ’s have been fitted to the rear prop, the hand brake drum has been skimmed ready for refitting. and brake overhaul kits are standing by ready to be fitted.
The pile of purchased goods also contains:
4 x Shock Absorber
Bearing kits for both axles
Brake drums for both axles
Brake overhaul kits including cylinders, springs and shoes
Brake pedal assembly
Full exhaust system & mounts
Floor supports for the tub
Diff pinion oil seals
Braided brake hoses
Tank to lift pump fuel pipe
wiring loom has been ordered from autosparks.co.uk
Other progress made recently includes painting of the windscreens surround, we have gone for black on this to try and tone down the green a bit. and just to check we popped the other bits of the body on to see the shape of things to come.
We have also made up 2 repairs for the rear 1/4 panels of the tub, the bottoms of them have corroded so we have made up some repairs based on the templates for car 2.
So busy times ahead working on the car hopefully will have it further along in no time.
Well after finishing the repairs to the near side door, we too it to the car and have test fitted it. the alignment looks pretty close which we are happy about, so far the body is pretty loose and should all come good in the end.
Other progress made this week was more painting, this time the fuel tank has had a coat of chassis black paint and is bolted back in to place. It will be coming out again soon so we can bolt in the inner sills then should remain in place. I have also purchased new filler hose, filler neck and breather pipe.
Also have purchased a number of electrical items, including battery cable, an x-eng x-fan thermostat and a set of Carling Contura II switches for controls of some circuits that will be added in the future.
The plan for the next couple of weeks is to prep and paint the roof, fit the x-fan and look to get the battery hooked up and test the circuits.
Car 1 is slowly moving forward!! We recently posted that we were aiming for the car to be running by the 20th november, however due to holidays and the lack of a bank balance, this plan backfired. But we have been doing work on the bulkhead, 30 spot welds later the old feet eventually came out and the new feet have been welded in, so jobs for this car now are to prime and paint the bulkhead and mount it onto the chassis, we also have the dreaded task of searching for all the bits again now!!!
Bulkhead has had its first coat of primer today, the new green will be added tomorrow….. I have took a photo of the can… Very exciting!!!!!