Well here is a long awaited update on the progress of car 1.
In the last update the tub had been painted and the cappings put on, wiring loom threaded in to chassis, brakes completed, steering.
Since this the seatbox has been painted green, bits on it have been detailed in black such as the latches for the seat tops. The rear body work sections have also been painted green and bolted on to the black roof. This is now sat on the tub in place ready to be bolted down when we are ready.
Plans for this week include getting the inner sills bolted back in place, the seatbox bolted in and the rubbing down and painting of the wings and bonnet. they will all be fitted once we have the engine wired up and running correctly.
We have actually started the engine in the last couple of weeks but it just revved so after a bit of diagnosis we think there is an issue with the webber carb that is fitted, it will be replaced in the next 2 weeks with a zenith copy so we shouldn’t have any more issues there.
Well this update is a couple of weeks over due, namely getting round to writing it but the recent progress has been :
Shocks fitted, after trying to fit the shocks with the poly bushes we found them to be a very tight fit so we ended up making a tool that allowed the pin to be put in while the bush was compressed with a clamp. this worked a treat and in no time all 4 shocks were in place.
Rear Check Straps, once the shocks were in place we fitted the new straps and bolted up tightly.
Brake Lines, we have fitted a set of standard length braided brake hoses originally planned for car 2, but they were too short. Next step for brake lines will be running the full lengths of copper pipe and completing the brake system.
Front Grill, the front grill section has been painted green, it will have 1 more coat then can be refitted to the chassis along with a new radiator that has been purchased, the original was beyond repair.
Well, a productive week for the story of car 1, including the collection of a whole load of parts won on ebay from over the river in Liverpool and the eventual purchase of the bush kit.
After seeing the item on ebay a whole load of parts in pictures the item was won so on Wednesday we went off to collect, and we were surprised by how much stuff there was. Here are a couple of pictures:
Items of note include a front axle with free wheeling hubs, 4 windscreens, 2 rear screen sections and a whole lot more
The next big job was bush replacement, we were starting with the chassis bushes, so out with a home made puller, a good length of M10 stud iron, nuts, washers and length of scaffold tube. after a few hours we had the inner tubes and rubber out, just the outer metal tube remained. with the use of a hacksaw, chisels and hammers they were soon out too. Then it was in with the new britpart polybush kit.
Considering that last week one of the lads doing the build was injured, requiring 12 stitches in his arm I thought progress would have slowed a bit till he was better, but with the nice weather the other 2 of us decided to progress a bit.
This is after the stitches, the before is a bit too nasty for the blog. Stitches out 08/06/13 hopefully.
Plan started with “Lets bolt the springs back on to the axles, see how the colours look together. But some how it ended up as being lets have the car back to a rolling chassis. With a bit of a hand from the owners brother we moved the chassis from its stored location out to the car port and on top of the axles.
The chassis still needs its final coat of paint which we hope will come in the next couple of weeks. Then we will be getting the engine, gearbox and transfer box back on to the chassis.
This is a bit of off roading from the lad with the injury, the car here is currently in bits and the car that recovered is the one that he is now driving.
A busy last couple of weeks away from the car with other commitments and rejigging the garage we once again cracked on with a Bank Holiday weekend of work on the car.
Our target for this one was prime and paint the axles, springs and U Bolts.
To get there we had to rub down plenty of bits, all thankfully smaller than the chassis.
The colour plan for the car so far is black body work, black chassis, yellow engine, yellow springs and red axels.
When the springs are dry we will be turning them over and painting the other side. so this week we should be able to bolt springs back to axles and then look to bolt that all back on to the chassis when we have purchased the bush kit for it.