Tag Archives: Start

Start of a journey

Well Tuesday 9th June marked the start in our next journey, the delivery of the chassis for the 300tdi 90.

Over coming months we are going to be doing the chassis swap on this car and hopefully documenting it the blog.

Keep an eye out for progress and photos.  The plan for this one might be to lift the body off in one go so we all need to hit the gym a bit.

Advertisements

A long needed update

Well things have been a bit manic recently so updates were last thing on the mind.

But alas here we are April 2015 and here is an update on how things are going.

Ian’s Car – 200tdi 90

Well 12 months since the rebuild finished, its MOT time again.  Car went in for its test Tuesday 7th April.  It failed 😦  The issues were headlights weren’t bright enough, the drivers door wouldn’t open from inside the car.

So all in all not too bad, but the worst item was down as an advisory but actually caused the end of the test.  A UJ in the rear prop had failed to the point where the tester wasn’t willing to carry out deceleration tests.  The prop was unbolted and the UJ’s purchased and replaced.  the prop then bolted back on and boy did it make a difference.

The door not opening was a case of adjustments on the mechanism for the handles just shortened them a bit and opening now much easier.

The headlights were the biggest concern.  As I have high performance bulbs fitted to the car when the tester said they didn’t register on the testing machine.  So reading around the subject points at a burnt out light switch causing poor performance.  The solution is to put a relay feed to the lights.  I purchased a Red Bison Boomslang from Paddockspares for £30 it was a bargain for the entire kit.  I had it fitted in no time and made a massive improvement, its a product I would recommend to anyone.

MOT Retest 18 April 1pm.  Result: Car passed

Jordan’s Series II

Well not much work has been done on the car since November, panels are now painted but not yet fitted to the car.  The accelerator has now been refitted and the car can be driven around.

The main reasons for this is we have been busy working on Jordan’s Discovery 2, which since november has had a number of coolant hoses as it has been loosing coolant and the pressure build up has popped them.  We have now replaced the suspected cause of the coolant loss and so far so good.

Nick’s Discovery

It has been plodding along as normal.  We had a bit of fun while jet washing it ready for MOT when the jet wash smashed the sun roof.  so that has been replaced and the alpine windows have been taken out and covered over.

Matthews Series.

As Matthew has decided he isn’t friends with 2 / 3 of us working on Land Rovers there will be no further updates about his car as we dont see him any more.

New Cars:

Yes we have been joined by two more land rovers that we can enjoy working on.

Daisy The Defender is a 2006 TD5 90, owned by some friends we have had a little bit of work to do on the car already including replacing a failed fuel pump and then adding some new bits such as chequer plate wing tops and a new bumper.  With being such a new car there shouldnt be that much to do on it for now.

Tom’s 300tdi 90, this is going to be our next big project, Toms car is in need of a new chassis, due to the amount of rust it has, we could go down the route of repair pieces but Tom fancies doing a chassis, so one has been ordered so big project ahead for the summer.  There should be plenty of updates on this one.

Car 2 : It Lives

Well after getting so close to starting the car last weekend this week we decided to look at it again.  After a bit of diagnostics with the multi meter when turning the key, we then decided to look what the brown / orange wire we had on the ignition was doing, after following it down it was found in the fuse board.

We removed the wire and then the start relay started clicking.  So with fuel stop solenoid disconnected we turned the key and the engine turned.  After this we checked all things needed for the engine to run were in place and connected the stop solenoid.

Below is a little video of the next moments.

As the cooling system has no water in we only ran for a couple of seconds, but was a really good night.

For the weekend ahead the plan is to prep and paint the roof in Ivory White as per original colour scheme.  Between coats of paint we will also be working on the doors, re skinning the near side door and stripping down and repairing the off side and rear doors.  If we get a chance we will also run the car for a couple of minutes to allow us to change the oil.

All being well Sunday night the roof will be sat on the car and it will really look like a land rover again.