Tag Archives: Strip Down

Tom’s Car : Started

Well last night we finally got round to starting work on changing Tom’s chassis.  This time round we are going to try and take the body off the car in one piece so that we haven’t got to worry about lining all the panels back up at the end of it.

To do this we have got 3 editions of Land Rover Monthly, which handily show the the process using a 2 post ramp to remove the body.  while we are reliant on human power we think it can be done.

So last night we carried out the following steps:

  • Removed the 10 M8 x 20 bolts from the rear of the tub to cross member tabs
  • Removed the 4 screws holding the filler neck to the tub
  • Removed the Gear lever
  • Removed handbrake cable
  • Removed front bumper

The next steps will be undoing the other connections between body and chassis such as fixing bolts electricals and ancillaries then looking to remove the wings and bonnet to make the body work removal easier.

image

image

Advertisements

Car 4: Rear Axle Rebuild

I bought all the parts to completely overhaul both of my axles… new oil seals, gaskets, bushes and brake components etc.

First stage was to strip the axle down to bare casing as I wanted to rub it down and paint it.

Continue reading

Car 4 : Start of Rebuild

Well since the beginning of April the car ran out of tax so it was decided to undergo a restoration rebuild like the other cars we have been working on.

Over a couple of days the car was stripped down to a bare chassis, as the build had been planned for a couple of weeks some parts had been ordered so work could begin.

Strip down didnt take too long. The previos owner had a strange obsession with “denso tape” a horrible sticky material based tape. Every not and bolt and bracket was covered in it… initially this was thought to be a nightmare… but in practise, it made stripping down very easy as once removed, it had preserved the nuts and bolts very well… no rusty bolts!
image

Before strip down… the car was fully road worthy… driven into the garage on friday night.
image

image

image

First step was axle removal… very easy with a 9 inch grinder. All springs, bolts and shackle plates being replaced anyway.
Next step… bodywork.
image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

Next stage was engine removal… with the assistance on the engine crane thus was an easy job. The owner of the series 2 however did find an interesting way to lower the engine down onto the pallet.
image

image

A good weekends work. By sunday night we had a bare chassis.
image